design

Kate Mahony (’98)

Kate Mahony ('98) recently visited the Junior School for a Learn@Lunch session, sharing the story of her inspiring career path from Loreto Kirribilli, to physiotherapist, to Executive General Manager of AFLW Football.

Kate revealed that all did not go so smoothly at the beginning of her career. “I had decided on Physio because I liked sport and wanted to help people, but my ATAR was 0.4 short of the mark needed for Physiotherapy!” Undeterred, Kate began another degree and then transferred across.

Kate then had a remarkable career as a sports physiotherapist, travelling the world with the Australian Cricket team, and working with elite tennis players including Serena Williams and Roger Federer.

Her job as a physio has developed over time into a leadership role, from coordinating the healthcare of the Australian Olympic Team at the Tokyo Olympics, to Head of Performance Health at NSW Institute of Sport, to her latest role with the Sydney Swans AFLW. “Sydney Swans called and said, we’re starting our women’s team, would you like to come and run the program! And part of my role is to inspire young women who want to play the sport.”

"Work really hard at what you're doing," was her advice to her appreciative audience. “And when opportunities come, you have to be brave enough to take them.”

Work really hard at what you're doing, and when opportunities come, you have to be brave enough to take them.

Kate Mahony