design

Adrienne Lowe OAM (’80)

When Adrienne Lowe OAM (Dodds ’80) was a student at Loreto Kirribilli, she was given some advice she has never forgotten. “Sr Paula told us, ‘Do your best, no matter what you choose to do’.”

Adrienne has followed this advice in a lifelong career that has gone from swim coach to surf life saver to Bronze Medallion Training Officer to Sydney Northern Beaches Branch Director of Education and in 2022, recipient of an Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for service to Surf Life Saving.

Adrienne first became involved in surf life saving in 2002, just by chance, when she was working as a swimming coach at North Sydney Pool. She instantly loved it. “Surf life saving for me was the perfect love marriage of water, the beach and education.”

A highly experienced and skilled educator, Adrienne has trained countless volunteers in life saving and first aid awards and has held just about every role at her club, Dee Why Surf Life Saving Club, including President from 2007-2010.

For Adrienne, being recognised with the OAM was an honour. “It was an incredible experience. We had to keep it secret – I couldn’t even tell my mum! I am indebted to everybody who helped me.”

Adrienne thinks her OAM sends a message about achievement to the students of today as well. “You don’t have to be dux or the top of the class. There are plenty of things you can do.”

Adrienne is clear about the influence Loreto Kirribilli had on her life. “Those years at high school really formulate your values. Friends I had at Loreto are still my friends today.”

Life saving has something for everybody. You don’t have to be a Bronze Medallion; there’s patrolling, education, coaching, admin, finance, a lot more than you see, not just the front line. It’s a great way of giving back to the community.

Adrienne Lowe OAM