design

Maeve O’Meara OAM (’77)

Founder of Gourmet Safaris, and award-winning food and cooking author, broadcaster and television producer, Maeve O’Meara ('77) is no stranger to the spotlight. Last year she was distinguished with a Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) for services to the food media industry.

After a lifetime of enjoying exploring food and cuisines, Maeve is deeply appreciative of the award. “Receiving recognition for a life’s work is so wonderful,” acknowledges Maeve.

“One of my best congratulations came from our Loreto Kirribilli Home Science teacher Sister Agnes (Margaret Scully) who I'm in contact with after she phoned in to a Melbourne radio station when I was being interviewed, reminding me of our sunny room with ovens and benches where we made useful things like scones. Not a hint of spice or other cultures back then!”

As the presenter of Food Safari, SBS’s longest-running locally produced food show which first aired in 2006, Maeve has featured the many cuisines brought to Australia by its immigrants. Maeve is also an ambassador for the Sydney charity OzHarvest which collects unused food from restaurants, cafes and caterers and distributes it free of charge to organisations that feed needy men, women and children.

“It is amazing to think that food would be my life, and food media, and the vast multicultural wave that has made Australia the greatest country on earth.

“I've been very fortunate to have followed my passion and been a part of creating television series and books and a food tour company, all focusing on the wealth of food culture we have on our doorstep from the many people who have made Australia their home.

“I also have to say that one of my life’s achievements is the friends from those school years who are still a treasured part of my life.”

Coming out of high school, we felt that anything we put our minds to, we could do… it was a great start to life.

Maeve O'Meara OAM