A reminder about the changes to the Education Act. Student leave during school time is to be at a minimum and only permissible for significant pastoral reasons and in consultation with the school. All families must contact the school regarding leave prior to any bookings being made. Any holiday that has been booked without school consultation may impact on your daughter’s assessment results.
Please read the detailed outline of the changes:
As outlined in the first newsletter there have been changes made to the NSW Attendance Codes. These changes have been implemented to ensure nationally consistent parameters for the collection and reporting of student attendance data.
In schools there are 3 acceptable reasons for a student’s non-attendance at school. These are:
If a Principal does not accept that a student’s non-attendance satisfies the criteria for one of these categories, the absence will be recorded as unexplained.
As part of the implementation of the National Standards, holidays taken by students outside of school vacation periods will now be included as absences and no longer an exemption from attendance. Parents are encouraged to holiday during the school holiday period. Students at Loreto Kirribilli enjoy extensive holiday periods and parents are discouraged from requesting additional holiday leave during term time because of the disruption that this may cause to their daughter’s academic and wellbeing program.
If you require leave or exemptions, please note that this may impact on your daughter’s assessments if they are scheduled during her absence. Each request for leave or exemption will be reviewed and a decision will be made as to whether the leave is approved or unapproved.
The process for exemption remains the same – however as outlined above holidays will not be granted an exemption.
Request for exemption process
Principals have the authority to grant an exemption from attendance at school for certain reasons including:
- exceptional domestic circumstances, but not including participation in family holidays during school term, subject to being satisfied that this is in the best educational interests of the child
- other exceptional circumstances such as the health of the student where sick leave or alternative enrolment is not appropriate
- the child being prevented from attending school because of a direction under section 42D of the Public Health Act 1991
- employment in the entertainment industry or participation in elite sporting events for short periods of time
(From DET Exemption from School –Procedures)
- Parents will submit the application and supporting documentation, where requested, to the Principal (see CH@LK)
- The Principal will consider the application in accordance with the criteria in the guidelines from the NSW Department of Education and Communities
- Where the application is supported the Principal will provide the original exemption certificate to the parent/s
- Students must collect the Leave from School Assessment Form
- Where the application is not supported the Principal will notify the parents in writing of the unsuccessful outcome
- Copies of the application and exemption certificate are filed by the homeroom teacher with the student’s absentee notes
Request for Leave process
Absence Other than Sick Leave (LEAVE)
Principals in NSW schools have the authority to record non-sick leave in a school year for students of compulsory school age who are absent and whose parents have provided an acceptable explanation of the absence. The absence may be due to:
- misadventure or an unforeseen event
- participation in special events not related to the school
- travel in Australia or overseas
- domestic necessity, such as the serious illness of an immediate family member
- attendance at funerals
- recognised religious festivals or ceremonial occasions
(From NSW Attendance Register Codes)
If your daughter is absent from school due to any of the above reasons, the absence will be recorded on the Attendance Register as Leave from School. A note of explanation is to be given to the homeroom teacher for 1-2 days. For 3 or more days parents are required to complete an Application for Leave form.
Where possible it is requested that the school be provided with at least 4 weeks’ term time notice.
- For absences of three (3) or more days, submit the leave form to the Principal. You may provide an accompanying letter or any necessary paperwork to support your request.
- Students must collect the Leave from School Assessment Form from the Student Wellbeing section in CH@LK.
- Parents will be informed of decision.
Please refer to the Parent Wellbeing Chalk page for the application forms and process.
Thank you for your understanding and support in these changes. If you have any queries please contact me.
Romalina Rocca (Miss)
Director of Student Wellbeing