As Mary Ward envisaged:
Her ideal was that "we should be such as we appear and appear such as we are".
Felicity is a natural gift of youth and an essential element of the Loreto spirit.
Loreto Sport creates an environment and atmosphere, which fosters a student's social, emotional, personal and physical development. In today's society there is an increasing awareness of the importance of healthy lifestyles and a growing recognition of the need for students to be active, responsible and informed decision makers.
Sport can assist girls to develop self-respect and self-discipline. Through their participation, girls can develop an appreciation of sport, recreation and exercise as part of a healthy, balanced lifestyle. All students should be given the opportunity to develop and appreciate a sense of sporting conduct and a spirit of fairness, respect, graciousness and generosity towards others. Sport should provide an opportunity of enjoyment, and a feeling of well being and relaxation. All these benefits can be gained whether one wins or loses.
The following should be observed when taking part in Sport at Loreto:
Three important Principles of Participation in Sport at Loreto
- Sport should be played because of its enjoyment.
- Students need to take pride in their sport and their participation in it.
- Students are to respect the members of their team.
- Students are to respect their opponents and treat them courteously.
- Students are to arrive in good time for events.
- Students are to dress in the correct uniform.
- Students are never to discourage or disparage any player, whether from the opposing team or from their own school team.
- Students are to be prepared to applaud good play, whether by their team or by their opponents.
- Students are to be gracious at all times, whether they have won or lost.
- Students are to be modest in success and if they have been defeated, to acknowledge their opponents' performance.
- Students are to treat everybody the way they would like to be treated.
- Students must honour their commitment to their sport. This includes attendance at all meetings and training sessions and matches.
- Students/Parents must sign a Sports contract for each sport.
- Students may not withdraw from any sport except for medical reasons.
- Students must attend all selection dates.
- School sport is well worth playing at any ability, level and in any grade.
- The benefits of playing sport are available to girls whether they win or lose. Loreto sees winning games, events, meets and competitions as less important and less valuable than the benefits of participating.
- Students should remember that it is a privilege to be selected for a sport at Loreto and have the experience to represent their school.